Thursday, June 10, 2010

Book Review: The Six-Liter Club

The Six-Liter Club

By: Harry Kraus

Description

Dr. Camille Weller is the first African American female attending in the trauma surgical department at the Medical College of Virginia (where Kraus earned his M.D.). On her first day, she joins the Six-Liter Club - a reference to an elite group of doctors who have saved a patient after the patient loses six-liters of blood. Exhilarated, she decides to do something about the antiquated "doctors" and "nurses" signs on the locker room doors and changes clothes with the "doctors." She'll also blow their prejudices about skin color out of the water. Yet Camille has far more to overcome than preconceived notions about her skin color or sex...she's having nightmares about her childhood in the Congo , a dark closet, whispered words, and strong arms holding her back.


Review

It took me a while to really be drawn into this book, but by the half-way point, I couldn't put it down. It was really not my usual read, but it did eventually interest me and I began to feel a part of the book. The story line flowed well and the characters felt real. I don't usually read or watch much secular entertainment and some of the topics were in the secular realm but it made the Christian outreach to the main character more real. Overall it was a good read and opened my eyes to how far women have come in the last 20 years in the medical field.

I was given this book as an agreement with Glass Road Blogger and the opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment